Cherry Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies by SBF
Makes about 20-35 cookies, depending on size.
2 Cups (272g) All-Purpose Flour
1/3 Cup (28g) Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 Cup (226g) Unsalted Butter, cut into chunks and room temperature
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp (131g) Granulated Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Egg White
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp Almond Extract
1/2 cup (160g) Your Favorite Cherry Jam
1/3 cup (57g) Milk Chocolate Chips or Chopped Chocolate
1. Sift the flour and cocoa powder together (But really! Cocoa powder can be very clumpy.)
2. In a stand mixer use the paddle attachment to cream the butter, sugar, and salt together until creamy (about 3 minutes).
3. Add egg white and extracts, beat on low speed until fully incorporated. Scrape the bowl, add the dry ingredients in 2-3 additions. Mix until just incorporated- scraping a few times as needed.
4. If dough is soft and hard to work with, you can chill it now for a few hours until it is more scoop-able, otherwise you can scoop the dough into rounded teaspoon to tablespoon-sized balls (totally up to you), then chill the dough for a few hours or up to three days.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
6. Use your knuckle, thumb, or the end of a wooden spoon to press a little hole in the middle of each piece of dough. Fill each hole with jam (just to the top, trying not to overfill)
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes (smaller cookies will need less time), until the edges are set and the jam is bubbly. Allow to cool on the tray for a few minutes before moving the cookies to a cooling rack.
8 Once all cookies are baked and cooled, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. Use a whisk or fork or whatever tool you like to drizzle the chocolate over the cookies.
9. Allow chocolate to set and enjoy!